We are socialists because we reject an economic order based on private profit, alienated labor, gross inequalities of wealth and power, discrimination based on race and sex, and brutality and violence in defense of the status quo. We are socialists because we share a vision of a humane social order based on popular control of resources and production, economic planning, equitable distribution, feminism, racial equality, and non-oppressive relationships. We are socialists because we are developing a concrete strategy for achieving that vision, for building a majority movement that will make democratic socialism a reality in America. We believe that such a strategy must acknowledge the class structure of American society and that this class structure means that there is a basic conflict of interest between those sectors with enormous economic power and the vast majority. (DSA constitution Article II. Purpose)
When: Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 07:00 PM
Where: Q Street Bar & Grill in Sacramento, CA
Join the DSA Sacramento Anti-Racism Committee for a night of drinks and conversation, and help us make a positive, supportive space for POC to talk about/talk through your thoughts and feelings on race, class, capitalism, white supremacy, political theory, radical resistance, and socialism. Or just hang out and have a good time with other radical POC!
******Please note: we are asserting this as a POC-Only event.********
When: Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 06:00 PM
Where: Taqueria Maya's in Sacramento, CA
Join Sacramento Solidarity Network Sunday nights to write letters to people who are currently incarcerated.
Here are some reasons why you may want to come join us:
- For people who have loved ones inside, writing letters in a community setting can be less isolating and more healing
- There are a lot of people locked up in jails/prisons who are looking for pen-pals—if this is your first time joining, consider becoming pen-pals with someone, or simply come to learn more
- Many in the US are locked up for their part in liberation struggles, even as US diplomats condemn other regimes for holding political prisoners
- If you aren't able to commit to writing someone regularly, you can still send letters of support to folks who are surviving in an incredibly dehumanizing environment
- You can also send people helpful political information!
**Supplies provided include**
- paper, stamps and envelopes
- leaflets on how to start a letter
- zines, booklets and newsletters
- lists of prisoners to write
**Things to bring with you**
- extra stamps
- a computer or notepad
- cash for yummy food
- any reading material on prison issues